Friday, April 1, 2011

Greek Salad with Chickpeas

(Recipe from Everyday Food: A Martha Stewart Magazine - March 2011, if you have it!)
Ingredients:

1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (a small one is best)
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
salt and ground pepper
1 small to medium cucumber, peeled & cut into 1/2-in. pieces
1 C grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 C crumbled feta cheese (2 oz)
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1/2 C pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped (got mine at Kroger's olive bar - LOVE!)
1/2 C lightly packed fresh parsley leaves (I cut mine up with kitchen scissors)

1. In large bowl, combine chopped onion, lemon juice and olive oil & season with salt and pepper to your liking. Toss well to combine & let sit 5 minutes. (I photographed this step just to show you my cool measuring spoons. Love that they're rectangular. I got mine at Williams-Sonoma but apparently you can also get them here.)
2. Add cucumber, tomatoes, feta, chickpeas, olives & parsley.
3. Season again with salt & pepper & toss to combine. (I photographed this step just because I thought it looked pretty with the red tomatoes before I tossed it completely :-)
4. Divide among four bowls and serve immediately.

5. We served ours with buttered, un-toasted French bread & corn-on-the-cob. YUM. I also have a recipe for this delicious Mediterranean cheese bread with olives and I will post when I find where I've misplaced it. It is wonderful!

Nutritional info, if you care: per serving - 306 cal. * 16g fat * 9g protein * 34g carbs * 6g fiber

Note: I had never used chickpeas in a recipe before but found them to be quite good. Just so you won't have to put out an urgent plea on Facebook to locate them in the grocery store like I did, they're with the beans. And they're also called 'garbanzo beans'. And no one in Kroger will be able to help you find them but if you run into my friend, Tom Colford, he'll do his darndest to help you.

My mom LOVED it. Chuck devoured one bowl and a corn-on-the-cob, went to baseball practice, came home and ate what was left. And he complimented me again this morning. I liked it too. The kids just said, "Ewww, what IS that?"

Also, the flatware in the last photo is my favorite I've ever had & it's dirt-cheap from Wal-Mart, baby! I love it. Simple, clean-lined, modern. Who knew?











1 comment:

  1. Now that you're living in the world of chickpea goodness, have you tried making hummus? You can get tahini in the ethnic (Mediterranean) section of the grocery store. Other than that it's just lemon juice, garlic, chickpeas, and olive oil. yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete